Borderline – Redistricting Software
Moonshadow has teamed with Labels & Lists, the most trusted name in voter data processing, to launch Borderline. Based on Moonshadow’s proprietary patent-pending data mapping and visualization technology, it’s the fastest and easiest-to-use redistricting software available. Borderline is a hosted web-based solution. There is no software to install. You can access it via a broadband connection using an Internet web browser from both Windows and Mac OS computers.
Many traditional GIS-based redistricting software systems can be rigid, hard to learn and require highly technical personnel to operate. Borderline is different. The intuitive user interface is built around the familiar Google Maps environment, so it only takes minutes – not days – to get up to speed.
Select precincts or census blocks and easily move them from one district to another adjacent district with a simple mouse click, all while conforming to census geography. See the results of any change or edit instantly! Import and export “block equivalency” files to exchange plans with other GIS-based software.
Borderline combines the quality individual voter records of Label & Lists with the US Census 2010 and 2000 data using our groundbreaking technology to allow district lines to be drawn in real time with instant analysis of compositional changes. Our redistricting software solution displays individual voter records numbered in the millions, along with US Census data and analyzes those records in milliseconds. It relies on a breakthrough technology developed by Moonshadow that allows for the retrieval of data at speeds up to 100 times faster than traditional technologies.
Borderline does not replace your GIS-based redistricting software but rather works in tandem with it to dramatically speed up the process of deciding on new district lines before you enter them into the GIS system. This saves countless hours of work by redistricting staff as well as GIS personnel. You can export the “block equivalency” files for any redistricting scenario for use in your GIS system.
Borderline allows you to create and save different scenarios. Analyze the different plans by almost any demographic criteria using the filters in the side panel.
With Borderline you can set filters to look at certain demographic groups or combinations with only a few mouse clicks. For instance, you can view age and/or ethnicity distribution in your new district within seconds. Create complex filters on the fly to view certain aspects of the new district. Borderline instantly displays the geographical distribution as well as the raw numbers and percentages. Graphically compare your new proposed lines to the existing district lines at any time. Moonshadow can also import your own additional data and geocode it for you.
- Complete Maps & Satellite Images from Google Maps
- Census 2010 Data**
- Census 2000 Data
- Registered Voter Data from Labels & Lists, Inc.. ***
- We can even add your own data to the mix!
- Edit at any zoom level, see the results instantly
- Edit from Map, Satellite, Hybrid or Terrain view
- The latest maps and satellite images available in Google Maps
- Blazing speed as you zoom and pan through states, counties, precincts, census blocks
- Counts are updated as you zoom, pan or move your mouse
- Make new district maps in minutes or hours rather than days.
- View any type of district instantly
- Edit while viewing population density, party registration, or any other attribute
- Customizable options for filtering and displaying data
- Save multiple scenarios
- Import and export “block equivalency” files
- Generate heat maps to view underlying data
- Add any type of geospatial data and combine with the included data
- Examples: add shape files, voting results, corrections to Census data, etc.
- Instantly view counts of your own data
- Use your own data as additional filters, combine with existing filters
- Use Borderline to make information available to legislators or the public
Labels & Lists, the smart choice for quality voter data and customized voter file processing for over 30 years, serves a broad spectrum of customers and is a primary resource for state and local governments and agencies which utilize their data and services to communicate important public affairs information to their constituents.
What our clients are saying:
“It’s been a true pleasure working with Moonshadow Mobile. Borderline is head and shoulders above other redistricting software on the market today. The speed, responsiveness, and customization options of Borderline allowed us to make well informed decisions regarding our maps in record time. The team at Moonshadow was extremely responsive and support was superb. I’d highly recommend Borderline to any political party, state, or individual wanting to get a head up on redistricting.”…Eric, Redistricting Coordinator
** Moonshadow will process and import the Census 2010 data on a state-by-state basis as it becomes available from the US Census Bureau. *** Registered voter data is not available for all states. For availability please check Labels and Lists